This qualification is suitable for people working in a Work Health and Safety (WHS) role who work to provide leadership and guidance to others and have some limited responsibility for the output of others. The qualification reflects the role of workers who apply a broad knowledge base and well developed skills in a wide variety of contexts and may include coordinators, advisors and facilitators.
Units of Competency
Successful completion of ten (10) units of competency made up of:
- 5 core units plus
- 5 core elective units, of which
- 3 units must be from Group A below
- 2 units may be from Group A, Group B or any currently endorsed Training Package or accredited course at the same qualification level
- If not listed below, 1 elective unit may be selected from a Certificate III or Diploma from any currently endorsed Training Package or accredited course.
Units of Competency delivered
- BSBWHS402 – Assist with compliance with WHS laws
- BSBWHS403 – Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBWHS404 – Contribute to WHS hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
- BSBWHS405 – Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS management systems
- BSBWHS406 – Assist with responding to incidents
- BSBSUS401 – Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices
- BSBWHS408 – Assist with effective WHS management of contractors
- PUAWER002B – Ensure workplace emergency prevention procedures, systems and processes are implemented
- BSBMGT401 – Show leadership in the workplace
- TAEDEL301 – Provide work skill instruction
This course is delivered over approximately 12 – 18 months, allowing for application of learnings within the workplace in between structured sessions.
There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification. However, in order to be successful, students will need significant communication skills including the skills to interpret organisational and legislative requirements and write to them.
Course Outcome and Pathways
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Award and Transcript for this qualification. Students who do not complete the full qualification can exit with a Statement of Attainment for successfully completed units of competency.
Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include:
- Workplace Health and Safety Coordinator
- Workplace Health and Safety Officer.
After achievement of this qualification, graduates may wish to progress to BSB51315 Diploma of Work Health and Safety.
Everyone is entitled to an opportunity to have their previous skills and knowledge recognised in order to gain formal qualifications and reduce duplication of training and/or assessment activity (and sometimes cost). Students are encouraged to apply at program commencement. Please refer to the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) information in our Student Handbook for further information.