BSB41419 - Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
This qualification applies to individuals working in a work health and safety (WHS) role who provide a broad range of technical knowledge and skills, and have some limited responsibility for the output of others.
The qualification applies to those working as supervisors, WHS personnel, and workers in other WHS-related roles who manage risks effectively, apply relevant WHS laws, and contribute to WHS within the workplace in known or changing contexts with established parameters.
Units of Competency
Successful completion of 10 units of competency made up of:
- 5 core units, plus
- 5 elective units, of which
- 3 units must be from Group A below
- the remaining 2 units may be selected as follows:
- both may be selected from Group A, Group B or any currently endorsed Training Package qualification or accredited course at the same Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level
- 1 may be selected from a Certificate III or Diploma, from any currently endorsed Training Package qualification or accredited course.
Units of Competency delivered
- BSBWHS412 Assist with workplace compliance with WHS laws
- BSBWHS413 Contribute to implementation and maintenance of WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBWHS414 Contribute to WHS risk management
- BSBWHS415 Contribute to implementing WHS management systems
- BSBWHS416 Contribute to workplace incident response
- BSBRES411 Analyse and present research information
- BSBWHS417 Assist with managing WHS implications of return to work
- BSBWHS418 Assist with managing WHS compliance of contractors
- BSBWHS419 Contribute to implementing WHS monitoring processes
- BSBWHS431 Develop processes and procedures for controlling hazardous chemicals in the workplace
- BSBWRT401 Write complex documents
- BSBCMM401 Make a presentation
- BSBINN301 Promote innovation in a team environment
- BSBMGT401 Show leadership in the workplace
- BSBMGT403 Implement continuous improvement
- BSBPMG409 Apply project scope management techniques
- BSBSUS401 Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices
- PUACOM008 Develop and organise public safety awareness programs
- PUAWHS003 Implement and monitor organisational work, health and safety policies, procedures and programs
- RIIWHS403D Apply the mine work health and safety management plan
- TAEASS301 Contribute to assessment
- TAEDEL301 Provide work skill instruction
This course is delivered over approximately 9 – 18 months, allowing for application of learnings within the workplace in between structured sessions.
There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification. However, in order to be successful, students will need significant communication skills including the skills to interpret organisational and legislative requirements and write to them.
Course Outcome and Pathways
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Award and Transcript for this qualification. Students who do not complete the full qualification can exit with a Statement of Attainment for successfully completed units of competency.
Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include:
- Workplace Health and Safety Coordinator
- Workplace Health and Safety Officer
After achievement of this qualification, graduates may wish to progress to BSB51319 Diploma of Work Health and Safety.
Everyone is entitled to an opportunity to have their previous skills and knowledge recognised in order to gain formal qualifications and reduce duplication of training and/or assessment activity (and sometimes cost). Students are encouraged to apply at program commencement. Please refer to the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) information in our Student Handbook for further information.
Training and Assessment
Kevesther delivers its training programs onsite at clients’ workplaces (or alternatively at Kevesther’s own training facilities) through face-to-face training, coaching, and assessment activity (assessment includes knowledge questions and practical demonstration). Wherever possible, we utilise our client’s own company documentation and worksite-specific construction plans, etc. for more effective transfer of learning relevant to individual workplaces. Kevesther’s trainers and assessors work with our clients in a team-approach to ensure each student is given every opportunity to successfully complete their programs.