PMA30116 - Certificate III in Process Plant Operations
This qualification is for advanced operators and operations technicians who use production equipment to directly produce product. At this level, operators/technicians would undertake more advanced operations, typically of integrated plant units in accordance with the operating procedures, and would apply their knowledge to anticipate problems. They would be expected to solve a range of foreseen and unforeseen problems, using product and process knowledge to develop solutions to problems which do not have a known solution, or a solution recorded in the procedures.
Units of Competency
Successful completion of 21 units of competency made up of:
- 5 core units, plus
- 16 elective units
Note: Where prerequisite units are identified they must be counted in the total number of units required for achievement of the qualification.
Units of Competency delivered
- MSMENV272 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- MSMSUP100 Apply workplace context to own job
- MSMSUP102 Communicate in the workplace
- MSMWHS110 Follow emergency response procedures
- MSMWHS200 Work safely
- PMAOPS305 Operate process control systems
- PMAOPS300 Operate a production unit
- MEM18011C Shut down and isolate machine/equipment
- MSMPER300 Issue work permits
- *Prerequisite – MSMWHS201 Conduct hazard analysis
- MSL952001 Collect routine site samples
- MSMPER200 Work in accordance with an issued permit
- MSMPER201 Monitor and control work permits
- MSMPER202 Observe permit work
- MSMPER205 Enter confined space
- *Prerequisite – MSMPER200 Work in accordance with an issued permit
- MSMWHS201 Conduct hazard analysis
- MSMWHS216 Operate breathing apparatus
- MSMWHS217 Gas test atmospheres
- PMAOPS101 Read dials and indicators
- PMAOPS234 Monitor and operate low pressure compressors
- PMASUP244 Prepare and isolate plant
- UEPOPS319B Operate and monitor gas production plant
This course is delivered over approximately 9 – 18 months, allowing for application of learnings within the workplace in between structured sessions.
There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification.
Course Outcome and Pathways
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Award and Transcript for this qualification. Students who do not complete the full qualification can exit with a Statement of Attainment for successfully completed units of competency.
Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include:
- Process Plant Operator
- Process Plant Technician
After achievement of this qualification, graduates may wish to undertake PMA40116 – Certificate IV in Process Plant Technology.
Everyone is entitled to an opportunity to have their previous skills and knowledge recognised in order to gain formal qualifications and reduce duplication of training and/or assessment activity (and sometimes cost). Students are encouraged to apply at program commencement. Please refer to the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) information in our Student Handbook for further information.
Training and Assessment
Kevesther delivers its training programs onsite at clients’ workplaces (or alternatively at Kevesther’s own training facilities) through face-to-face training, coaching, and assessment activity (assessment includes knowledge questions and practical demonstration). Wherever possible, we utilise our client’s own company documentation and worksite-specific construction plans, etc. for more effective transfer of learning relevant to individual workplaces. Kevesther’s trainers and assessors work with our clients in a team-approach to ensure each student is given every opportunity to successfully complete their programs.