RII30815 - Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant Operations
This qualification reflects the role of a skilled operator working with civil construction plant, who applies a broad range of skills in a varied work context, using some discretion and judgement and relevant theoretical knowledge. The individual may provide theoretical advice and support a team. Licensing, legislative, regulatory and certification requirements that apply to this qualification can vary between states, territories, and industry sectors. Relevant information must be sourced prior to application of the qualification.
Units of Competency
Successful completion of 19 units of competency made up of:
- 14 core units, plus
- 5 elective units
Units of Competency delivered
- RIIBEF201D Plan and organise work
- RIICCM201D Carry out measurements and calculations
- RIICCM202D Identify, locate and protect underground services
- RIICCM203D Read and interpret plans and specifications
- RIICCM205E Carry out manual excavation
- RIICCM206D Support plant operations
- RIICCM207D Spread and compact materials manually
- RIICCM208D Carry out basic levelling
- RIICOM201D Communicate in the workplace
- RIIWHS201D Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
- RIISAM201D Handle resources and infrastructure materials and safely dispose of non-toxic materials
- RIISAM203D Use hand and power tools
- RIISAM204D Operate small plant and equipment
- RIIWMG203D Drain and dewater civil construction site
- RIIMPO318F Conduct civil construction skid steer loader operations
- RIIMPO319E Conduct backhoe/loader operations
- RIIMPO320F Conduct civil construction excavator operations
- RIIMPO323E Conduct civil construction dozer operations
- RIIMPO324F Conduct civil construction grader operations
- RIIWHS202D Enter and work in confined spaces
- RIIWHS204D Work safely at heights
This course is delivered over approximately 12 – 24 months, allowing for application of learnings within the workplace in between structured sessions.
Course Outcome and Pathways
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Award and Transcript for this qualification. Students who do not complete the full qualification can exit with a Statement of Attainment for successfully completed units of competency.
Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include:
- Civil Construction Plant Operator
- Civil Foundations Worker
- Mobile Plant Operator
After achievement of this qualification, graduates may wish to undertake RII40715 – Certificate IV in Civil Construction Supervision.
Everyone is entitled to an opportunity to have their previous skills and knowledge recognised in order to gain formal qualifications and reduce duplication of training and/or assessment activity (and sometimes cost). Students are encouraged to apply at program commencement. Please refer to the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) information in our Student Handbook for further information.
Training and Assessment
Kevesther delivers its training programs onsite at clients’ workplaces (or alternatively at Kevesther’s own training facilities) through face-to-face training, coaching, and assessment activity (assessment includes knowledge questions and practical demonstration). Wherever possible, we utilise our client’s own company documentation and worksite-specific construction plans, etc. for more effective transfer of learning relevant to individual workplaces. Kevesther’s trainers and assessors work with our clients in a team-approach to ensure each student is given every opportunity to successfully complete their programs.