This qualification reflects the role of a skilled operator working in Civil construction, who applies a broad range of skills in a varied work context, using some discretion and judgement and relevant theoretical knowledge.
The qualification applies to specialist occupations in bridge construction and maintenance occupations. The individual may provide theoretical advice and support a team.
Licensing, legislative, regulatory and certification requirements that apply to this qualification can vary between states, territories, and industry sectors. Relevant information must be sourced prior to application of the qualification.
Units of Competency
The following provides the packaging rules for this qualification, followed by the list of relevant units of competency.
The qualification has core and elective units of competency requirements that cover the general and specialist skill for seven (7) specialist and one (1) general civil construction stream
- Stream 2 – Bridge Construction and Maintenance
Successful completion of twenty five (25) units of competency made up of:
- Seven (7) core units, and
- Eighteen (18) elective units of which:
- Eight (8) must be chosen from Group D
- at least two (2) must be chosen from Group E
- at least three (3) must be chosen from Group F
- no more than five (5) may be chosen from elsewhere within this training package, or from another endorsed training package, or from an accredited course.
Units of Competency delivered
- RIIBEF201D – Plan and organise work
- RIICCM201D – Carry out measurements and calculations
- RIICCM203D – Read and interpret plans and specifications
- RIICOM201D – Communicate in the workplace
- RIISAM203D – Use hand and power tools
- RIISAM204D – Operate small plant and equipment
- RIIWHS201D – Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
- RIICCM202D – Identify, locate and protect underground services
- RIICCM205E – Carry out manual excavation
- RIICCM206D – Support plant operations
- RIICCM207D – Spread and compact materials manually
- RIICCM208D – Carry out basic levelling
- RIISAM201D – Handle resources and infrastructure materials and safely dispose of non-toxic materials
- RIIWHS302D – Implement traffic management plan
- RIIWMG203D – Drain and dewater civil construction site
- RIICBM301D – Maintain concrete bridges
- RIICBM303D – Install pre-cast parapets
- RIICBM304D – Operate a bridge inspection unit
- RIICBM307D – Construct formwork and false work on concrete bridges
- RIICCM209D – Carry out concrete work
- RIIHAN301E – Operate elevating work platform
- RIIHAN302D – Conduct intermediate scaffolding operations
- RIIRIS202D – Respond to site based spills
- RIIWHS204D – Work safely at heights
- RIIWHS202D – Enter and work in confined spaces
Course Outcome and Pathways
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Award and Transcript for this qualification. Students who do not complete the full qualification can exit with a Statement of Attainment for successfully completed units of competency.
After achievement of this qualification, graduates may wish to undertake RII40715 – Certificate IV in Civil Construction Supervision.
Everyone is entitled to an opportunity to have their previous skills and knowledge recognised in order to gain formal qualifications and reduce duplication of training and/or assessment activity (and sometimes cost). Students are encouraged to apply at program commencement. Please refer to the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) information in our Student Handbook for further information.