RII30915 - Certificate III in Civil Construction
Stream 2 - Bridge Construction and Maintenance
This qualification reflects the role of a skilled operator working in Civil construction, who applies a broad range of skills in a varied work context, using some discretion and judgement and relevant theoretical knowledge.
The qualification applies to specialist occupations in bridge construction and maintenance. The individual may provide theoretical advice and support a team.
Units of Competency
Successful completion of 25 units of competency made up of:
- 7 core units, plus
- 18 elective units
Units of Competency delivered
- RIIBEF201D Plan and organise work
- RIICCM201D Carry out measurements and calculations
- RIICCM203D Read and interpret plans and specifications
- RIICOM201D Communicate in the workplace
- RIISAM203D Use hand and power tools
- RIISAM204D Operate small plant and equipment
- RIIWHS201D Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
- RIICCM202D Identify, locate and protect underground services
- RIICCM205E Carry out manual excavation
- RIICCM206D Support plant operations
- RIICCM207D Spread and compact materials manually
- RIICCM208D Carry out basic levelling
- RIISAM201D Handle resources and infrastructure materials and safely dispose of non-toxic materials
- RIIWHS302D Implement traffic management plan
- RIIWMG203D Drain and dewater civil construction site
- RIICBM301D Maintain concrete bridges
- RIICBM303D Install pre-cast parapets
- RIICBM304D Operate a bridge inspection unit
- RIICBM307D Construct formwork and false work on concrete bridges
- RIICCM209D Carry out concrete work
- RIIHAN301E Operate elevating work platform
- RIIHAN302D Conduct intermediate scaffolding operations
- RIIRIS202D Respond to site based spills
- RIIWHS202D Enter and work in confined space
- RIIWHS204D Work safely at heights
This course is delivered over approximately 12 – 24 months, allowing for application of learnings within the workplace in between structured sessions.
Course Outcome and Pathways
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Award and Transcript for this qualification. Students who do not complete the full qualification can exit with a Statement of Attainment for successfully completed units of competency.
Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include:
- Bridge Construction Worker
- Construction Labourer – Civil
After achievement of this qualification, graduates may wish to undertake RII40715 – Certificate IV in Civil Construction Supervision.
Everyone is entitled to an opportunity to have their previous skills and knowledge recognised in order to gain formal qualifications and reduce duplication of training and/or assessment activity (and sometimes cost). Students are encouraged to apply at program commencement. Please refer to the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) information in our Student Handbook for further information.
Training and Assessment
Kevesther delivers its training programs onsite at clients’ workplaces (or alternatively at Kevesther’s own training facilities) through face-to-face training, coaching, and assessment activity (assessment includes knowledge questions and practical demonstration). Wherever possible, we utilise our client’s own company documentation and worksite-specific construction plans, etc. for more effective transfer of learning relevant to individual workplaces. Kevesther’s trainers and assessors work with our clients in a team-approach to ensure each student is given every opportunity to successfully complete their programs.