RII30920 - Certificate III in Civil Construction
Specialisation 4 - Road Construction and Maintenance
This qualification reflects the role of a skilled operator working in Civil construction, who applies a broad range of skills in a varied work context, using some discretion and judgement and relevant theoretical knowledge.
The qualification applies to specialist occupations in road construction and maintenance. The individual may provide theoretical advice and support a team.
Units of Competency
Successful completion of 26 units of competency made up of:
- 8 core units, plus
- 18 elective units, of which:
- nine (9) must be chosen from Group J
- at least two (2) must be chosen from Group K
- at least two (2) must be chosen from Group L
- up to four (4) may be chosen from the electives below, elsewhere within this training package, or from another endorsed training package, or from an accredited course
- at least five (5) of the eighteen (18) elective units chosen must be road construction and maintenance (RIICRC) units.
Units of Competency delivered
- RIIBEF201E – Plan and organise work
- RIICCM201E – Carry out measurements and calculations
- RIICCM203E – Read and interpret plans and specifications
- RIICOM201E – Communicate in the workplace
- RIIRIS301E Apply risk management processes
- RIISAM203E – Use hand and power tools
- RIISAM204E – Operate small plant and equipment
- RIIWHS201E – Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
- RIICCM202E – Identify, locate and protect underground services
- RIICCM205F – Carry out manual excavation
- RIICCM206E – Support plant operations
- RIICCM207E – Spread and compact materials manually
- RIICCM208E – Carry out basic levelling
- RIICCM210E – Install trench support
- RIICRC201E – Repair potholes
- RIICRC208E – Lay pipes
- RIICRC301E – Maintain drainage systems
- RIICRC302E – Place and form concrete kerb, channel and fixtures
- RIICRC304E – Maintain sealed roads
- RIICRC309E – Conduct stabiliser operations
- RIIIMG301E – Maintain site records
- RIIRIS201E – Conduct local risk control
- RIISAM201E – Handle resources and infrastructure materials and safely dispose of non-toxic materials
- RIIWMG203E – Drain and dewater civil construction site
- RIIWHS202E – Enter and work in confined spaces
- RIIWHS302E – Implement traffic management plan
This course is delivered over approximately 12 – 24 months, allowing for application of learnings within the workplace in between structured sessions.
There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification. Students are expected to be already working in a site-based role.
Course Outcome and Pathways
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Award and Transcript for this qualification. Students who do not complete the full qualification can exit with a Statement of Attainment for successfully completed units of competency.
Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include:
- Pavement Layer
- Road Construction Worker
- Construction Labourer – Civil
After achievement of this qualification, graduates may wish to undertake RII40720 – Certificate IV in Civil Construction.
Everyone is entitled to an opportunity to have their previous skills and knowledge recognised in order to gain formal qualifications and reduce duplication of training and/or assessment activity (and sometimes cost). Students are encouraged to apply at program commencement. Please refer to the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) information in our Student Handbook for further information.
Training and Assessment
Kevesther delivers its training programs onsite at clients’ workplaces (or alternatively at Kevesther’s own training facilities) through face-to-face training, coaching, and assessment activity (assessment includes knowledge questions and practical demonstration). Wherever possible, we utilise our client’s own company documentation and worksite-specific construction plans, etc. for more effective transfer of learning relevant to individual workplaces. Kevesther’s trainers and assessors work with our clients in a team-approach to ensure each student is given every opportunity to successfully complete their programs.