This is a general qualification for a person engaged or wishing to engage in basic operations within the Civil Construction Tunnel Construction environment undertaking a range of tasks involving known routines and procedures, and taking some responsibility for the quality of work outcomes.
Units of Competency
The following provides the packaging rules for this qualification, followed by the list of relevant units of competency.
The qualification has core and elective units of competency requirements that cover the general and specialist skill for seven (7) specialist and one (1) general civil construction stream.
Stream 6 – Tunnel Construction
Successful completion of twenty two (22) units of competency made up of:
- Seven (7) core units, and
- Eighteen (18) elective units of which:
- Eight (8) must be chosen from Group L
- At least five (5) must be chosen from Group M and/or group Q, including:
At least three (3) at Certificate III level, of which at least two (2) must be tunnel construction (RIICTC) units
- Up to five (5) may come from Certificate II, Certificate III or Certificate IV from this, or any other Training Package or accredited course
Units of Competency delivered
- VARGEN001 – Generic plan and prepare, clean up
- RIIBEF201D – Plan and organise work
- RIICCM201D – Carry out measurements and calculations
- RIICCM203D – Read and interpret plans and specifications
- RIICOM201D – Communicate in the workplace
- RIISAM203D – Use hand and power tools
- RIISAM204D – Operate small plant and equipment
- RIIWHS201D – Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
- RIICCM202D – Identify, locate and protect underground services
- RIICCM205E – Carry out manual excavation
- RIICCM206D – Support plant operations
- RIICCM207D – Spread and compact materials manually
- RIICCM208D – Carry out basic levelling
- RIICRC203D – Install sub-soil drainage
- RIISAM201D – Handle resources and infrastructure materials and safely dispose of non-toxic materials
- RIIWMG203D – Drain and dewater civil construction site
- RIICFW303D – Install primary ground support
- RIICTC301D – Install tunneling construction services
- RIICTC302D – Line tunnel
- RIICTC303D – Excavate tunnel by machine
- RIICTC304D – Muck out tunnel earthworks
- RIICRC301D – Maintain drainage systems
- RIIHAN301E – Operate elevating work platform
- RIICCM209D – Carry out concrete work
- RIIRIS201D – Conduct local risk control
- RIIWHS202D – Enter and work in confined spaces
There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification. Students are expected to be already working in a site-based role.
Course Outcome and Pathways
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Award and Transcript for this qualification. Students who do not complete the full qualification can exit with a Statement of Attainment for successfully completed units of competency.
After achievement of this qualification, graduates may wish to undertake RII40715 – Certificate IV in Civil Construction Supervision.
Everyone is entitled to an opportunity to have their previous skills and knowledge recognised in order to gain formal qualifications and reduce duplication of training and/or assessment activity (and sometimes cost). Students are encouraged to apply at program commencement. Please refer to the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) information in our Student Handbook for further information.