RII30920 - Certificate III in Civil Construction
Specialisation 6 - Tunnel Construction
This qualification reflects the role of a skilled operator working in Civil construction, who applies a broad range of skills in a varied work context, using some discretion and judgement and relevant theoretical knowledge.
The qualification applies to specialist occupations in tunnel construction. The individual may provide theoretical advice and support a team.
Units of Competency
Successful completion of 26 units of competency made up of:
- 8 core units, plus
- 18 elective units
Units of Competency delivered
- RIIBEF201E Plan and organise work
- RIICCM201E Carry out measurements and calculations
- RIICCM203E Read and interpret plans and specifications
- RIICOM201E Communicate in the workplace
- RIIRIS301E Apply risk management processed
- RIISAM203E Use hand and power tools
- RIISAM204E Operate small plant and equipment
- RIIWHS201E Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
- RIICCM202E Identify, locate and protect underground services
- RIICCM205F Carry out manual excavation
- RIICCM206E Support plant operations
- RIICCM207E Spread and compact materials manually
- RIICCM208E Carry out basic levelling
- RIICRC203E Install sub-soil drainage
- RIISAM201E Handle resources and infrastructure materials and safely dispose of non-toxic materials
- RIIWMG203E Drain and dewater civil construction site
- RIICTC301E Install tunnelling construction services
- RIICTC302E Line tunnels
- RIICTC303E Excavate tunnel by machine
- RIICTC304E Muck out tunnel earthworks
- RIICRC301E Maintain drainage systems
- RIIHAN301E Operate elevating work platform
- RIICCM209E Carry out concrete work
- RIIRIS201E Conduct local risk control
- RIIWHS202E Enter and work in confined space
This course is delivered over approximately 12 – 24 months, allowing for application of learnings within the workplace in between structured sessions.
There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification. Students are expected to be already working in a site-based role.
Course Outcome and Pathways
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Award and Transcript for this qualification. Students who do not complete the full qualification can exit with a Statement of Attainment for successfully completed units of competency.
Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include:
- Tunnel Constructor or Builder
- Construction Labourer – Civil
After achievement of this qualification, graduates may wish to undertake RII40720 – Certificate IV in Civil Construction.
Everyone is entitled to an opportunity to have their previous skills and knowledge recognised in order to gain formal qualifications and reduce duplication of training and/or assessment activity (and sometimes cost). Students are encouraged to apply at program commencement. Please refer to the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) information in our Student Handbook for further information.
Training and Assessment
Kevesther delivers its training programs onsite at clients’ workplaces (or alternatively at Kevesther’s own training facilities) through face-to-face training, coaching, and assessment activity (assessment includes knowledge questions and practical demonstration). Wherever possible, we utilise our client’s own company documentation and worksite-specific construction plans, etc. for more effective transfer of learning relevant to individual workplaces. Kevesther’s trainers and assessors work with our clients in a team-approach to ensure each student is given every opportunity to successfully complete their programs.